Friday, August 17, 2012

Dracula, by Bram Stoker


2012 Book 123: Dracula, by Bram Stoker (8/15/2012)

Reason for Reading: Coursera Fantasy and Science Fiction Course. Listened to it on my car ride to MN. :) Didn't finish it in time for the assignment though!

My Review
This review is for the Audible Edition of Dracula, narrated by Alan Cumming et al. (Wow, I just used et al. in a review. That makes me pretty darned special.) 

In this classic novel, a group of acquaintances must rid themselves of the sinister Count Dracula who has descended upon London with the eager desire to create a flock of bloodsucking fiends. This is my second reading of the novel--the first being when I was a young teenager. This time, I was impressed by Stoker's ability to set a dark mood and maintain it through the entire book. There was always some creepy fog or a terrified dog or a creepily sleep-walking woman to spook the reader. The full-cast performance was delightful. It really brought the various characters to life. The end of the book dragged for me a little because I was on a long car trip, counting down the last 6 hours in 10 minute intervals. But that's not really the fault of the book. :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't listen to a lot of audiobooks, but we did LOTR with a full cast a few months ago and I loved it. The whole cast works so much better than one narrator in a case like that I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine a whole cast almost always makes a book better. But it's probably a lot more expensive to produce. :)

    I listen to a lot of audiobooks simply because I want to exercise my listening comprehension. I thought it might help me in meetings and lectures. I MUCH prefer reading. But it's nice to listen to an audiobook while I'm exercising or cleaning...makes those tasks less boring.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love getting comments!