Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Woman in Black, by Susan Hill


2012 Book 36: The Woman in Black, by Susan Hill (2/24/2012)

Reason for Reading: Thought it would be interesting to read and see if I wanted to watch the movie afterwards (Which I probably won't for a while because none of my friends really seem excited to see it, and I am anti-drag-the-boyfriend-along.)

My Review: 3.5/5 stars
Arthur Kipps, a London solicitor, goes to a mysterious town for the funeral of a client. As he sorts through the deceased’s papers in her house, he realizes there is something spooky afoot. I was a big fan of ghost stories when I was a child, but this is the first I’ve read in a while. I was impressed by Hill’s ability to set a delightfully spooky mood—she’s very talented at descriptions and mood-settings. However, I guess I’m too rational to get spooked anymore. What a shame! I think it was a good book over all, even if the actual ghost’s story wasn’t particularly shocking at the end. Because it’s so short, it’s definitely worth a read just for the spooky mood setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love getting comments!